hmm,,, tough one,, well before 18 includes infants, children, and teens and its pre-college too, so i don't think i did hit specific actions for every category, rather than broad lines for teens.
Before you turn 18:
- Express yourself: Make your version of the word ART. you would not have people limiting you to what you can't do, know that you are born an artist.. draw, write, dance, make music, play a sport, do your thing. dedicate yourself to that.
- Play: Play all the time, its your purpose. Play, Have Fun and make Studying fun, and if anyone told you otherwise, tell them im a kid, my job is to play.
- Make Noise: Be a punk with a cause. you will develop an attitude sometime within your teen years and eventually you will lose it, but let it out, you must have sang zombie, crazy, nothing else matters, stuff along the lines on full volume with your friends and danced like there is no tomorrow, did sleep overs, camped, dreamt with your friends, been adventurous and crazy ...
- Build Useful Knowledge: change a flat tyre, jarret gas, fix a button, have good computer skills, take care of your stuff .. etc etc its good to be charmingly helpful when you dont have to (relative issue) and prove to your parents that you can take care of yourself and they dont need to worry, at least you should believe that.
- BE REAL/EXPLORE: you should have fairly experimented (within safe borders) : try everything till you figure out what you are about and what you like to do including forbidden stuff; choose to do or not to do them but go through the process of trying; try smoking, try dating, meet people from other schools, but also learn about Drugs, Drinking and Sex, and talking to Strangers and Self Defense, its very essential to learn thoroughly about those things before college so you won't feel naive and feel like you missed on practical knowledge or you were over protected, you won't learn it from your parents, you should not hide it from your parents neither, most preferably befriend an elder relative your parents trust, get a real world dose and know that people who choose to do these things are not wrong, they made a choice (Somewhere between 16, 17 and 18)
- Read; at least your Holy Book in full and set yourself to read The Bible, The Quran, and The Torah; why? because you need to understand the frame of your surrounding and realize that its a frame, you need to build your moral code, try to understand the basic meaning in scripts, respect differences and if the answers were not convincing, look into History Books. there is a huge difference between traditions and social practices related to Holy Books and the Religion itself as a script and how this will reflect on your personal life, i know, this is complicated enough, but you will have to go through that too. you'll face that in college years for sure and its always good to be prepared, read on various subjects outside your curriculm and get politically informed about your world around the age of 16. e7m e7m, it makes no sense but try to read the newspaper =D ma 7atifhamu ishi bas you will after you finish college :P